Tips for communicating with a loved one who has Alzheimer's Disease:
- Set a positive mood and tone, always smile and make eye contact.
- Don't talk down or treat them like an infant, always treat the person with dignity and respect.
- Be patient and offer reassurance.
- Speak slowly and clearly, ask one question at a time. Sometimes visual cues can help.
- Engage the person one on one, preferably with little distractions.
- It's O.K. not to always know what to say, your presence is just as important.